Friday, May 30, 2008

Celebrity Interview: Natasha Saleem. Youth Magazine.

Celebrity Interview: Natasha Saleem


Aqsa Hussain


Star: I'm actually on a cusp which makes me half Scorpio and half Libra - that has affected my personality too… well-balanced like Librans, passionate like Scorpions!

Date of birth: 23rd October

Favourite books: Tuesdays with Morrie, Five People You Meet in Heaven, The Kite Runner, Rumi's Poetry, Davinci Code, A Suitable Boy, He's Just not That Into You. So many more!

Favourite TV shows: Greys Anatomy, Heros, Desperate Housewives, OC, On tree hill, Veronica mars, Prison Break, Family guy, House, 24, Gillmore Girls... I know I'm missing some for sure!

Favourite political leader: (laughing) Now that's a thoughtful question…Well, I don't like to politicise entertainment. So for now, no one!

Uth: Music is a food for thought, mind, heart and soul. Since you're a VJ, I'm pretty excited to ask you your favourite music artist and which genre of music you like…

Natasha: Well yeah…music is something I can't live without. I listen to countless musicians, be it bands or solo artists, rock or pop, jazz or hip hop. I guess everything that's on my ipod… Favourite musicians' list is too long to mention here, but my favourites include… U2, Sting, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, The Wallflowers, Matchbox 20, Counting Crows, Cold Play, Linkin Park, Snow Patrol, Jewel, Sarah Mclachlan, Dido, John Mayer, Nelly Fertado, Maroon 5, Chris Daughtry, J.T a lot of stuff from A.R Rehman, Euphoria and a bunch of songs that I can dance on!

Locally I would include Nusrat Fateh Ali, Ali Zafar, Josh, Atif Aslam, Kaavish, MHB, Sajid and Zeeshan, Strings, Junoon, Noori, Call… I'm sure I'm missing out on so many more!

Uth: Natasha, tell us about your academic qualification.

Natasha: Oh yes, I'm qualified enough (laughs).…I did my O levels from Foundation Public School, A-Levels from The Lyceum and then went for a year to McGill University in Canada, came back and enrolled in an external program in Economics & Management with London School of Economics which is what my BSc. degree is in!

Uth: Your fans have always found you to be an interesting person always smiling and spreading smiles. What's the secret behind your lovely nature|?

Natasha: "Let the things we love be what we do. There are a hundred ways to kneel and kiss the ground'. That's pretty much my secret.

Uth: It would be very interesting for your fans to know about your childhood. Tell us what sort of a kid you were. Were you a crying baby, mama's baby or daddy's princess?

Natasha: *sigh* Man! Those days are worth a million days in heaven. Let me tell you, I really had an amazing childhood. I was daddy's princess and adored by all my aunts and I would spend most of my nights at my nani's place who lived right below our house, considered my mom to be my best friend and she still is.

Uth: Let's ask about your teen years. How were they like? Were you a social girl or a reserved person confined to her own circle of limited buddies?

Natasha: I had a zillion friends some of whom are still my best friends and in school we were the "popular gang" though if you get a chance to see my old pictures, you would find braces and frizzy hair! Eek! It's safe to say they were the happiest times of my life

Uth: Hey Natasha, let me ask about your biggest crush to date.

Natasha: Ahem... now that's a nice question (smiles) …Let me reveal it now…. Ok well….My biggest crush was Bon Jovi! My walls were full of his posters and I can't explain how obsessive I was, till I met him and when he hugged me my crush died away followed by a roaring laughter.

Uth: How did you join hands with The Muzik? Was it all accidental or you wanted to be a VJ?

Natasha: Hmm...Actually it all just happened. The Muzik people were looking for VJs and one of my friends wanted me to go along for moral support and when I showed up they asked me for an audition as well....and well here I am!

Uth: Karachi High or The Muzik, which one is more fun? Your fans found your character in Karachi High resembling to your real personality.

Natasha: Karachi High was a long long time ago and holds great memories for me but I would pick The Musik because it's such a huge project of which I am a part. As a VJ, I act myself but KH was all acting other characters which didn't resemble to my personality! Here in The Muzik, my team is like a family to me and while working, it holds great value for me.

Uth: Tell us something about your family. How many siblings do you have? How would you define your relationship with them?

Natasha: We're a small family. Just my mom, dad, brother and me. Ali is two years younger to me and he's my best friend. We share everything from relationship dilemmas to work issues and even though both of us work like crazy guys, I can't sleep if I don't get to talk to him. Whenever either of us travels, we end up buying more stuff for the other one. It's crazy but I love him the most in this world!

Uth: You mentioned in your previous interviews about your close relationship with your mother. What's so special about it since every child has a great relation with their mother?

Natasha: Like I mentioned, she's my best friend. She has seen the good days and the bad days and she knows all my secrets. In fact, she knows me better than myself. Our personalities are completely different we don't even share the same taste in things. I refuse to let her shop for me, but whatever she's seen in life and the way she's risen above, she's the strongest and the most beautiful woman I know and I can't imagine life without her.

Uth: How would you define fashion? Your favourite designer?

Natasha: Stuff that's trendy and sets it's own pace. I would hate to find somebody wearing what I already am or vice versa, so it needs to be unique enough. Favourite designers list is topped with Feeha Jamshed, she practically designs everything in my wardrobe and knows my style well.

Uth: We heard you're a shopaholic, your favourite place for shopping?

Natasha: Eeeeeee... I love shopping. Favourite place for shopping would be from itwar bazar to the streets of Bangkok or even from Zainab Market to the malls in Dubai, I don't discriminate when I shop ;)

Uth: What would you like to say about electronic media's explosion in past few years. How has it helped building up a great image of Pakistan abroad?

Natasha: The media boom has been fantastic in many ways and I think that with time the responsibility that comes with this freedom has also been realized. As far as my shows are concerned, the youth specially with their freedom of speech reflects ideologies and displays passion for something as artistic as mime or sketching sports like cricket and tennis, modeling, horse riding, salsa dancing, waterskiing and so much more!

Uth: How do you motivate yourself? Who is your inspiration in life?

Natasha: My relationship with God is what motivates me. I realize that everyone's life is different. From people to circumstances, situations and of course fate, everything is different. So for me, my only inspiration in life is the faith that I have.

Uth: What's the scope of this profession? Are artists financially stable?

Natasha: Personally speaking, it's amazing. Sky's the limit! You just need the talent and the brains to make the most out of it. With that and a little bit of luck, there's nothing you can't achieve

Uth: Let me ask you a close-ended question. Your favourite VJ? And why?

Natasha: Mahira, because she's natural and makes it look effortless.

Uth: What's the special thing in guys which makes them adorable…?

Natasha: "They make it easy for you to fall for them".

Uth: How would you define Life?

Natasha: "Undiscovered"

Uth: What words according to you can do justice in defining the beautiful feeling of love?

Natasha: Stability, understanding and a sheer desire to be with each other.

Uth: Five songs in your iPod?

Natasha: Tracy Chapman- The promise

Wallflowers- Closer to you

Sting- Fields of Gold

John Mayer- Slow dancing in a burning room

Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon collie and the infinite sadness

Uth: One big fear?

Natasha: Heights!

Uth: I would love to know what exactly you have in store for your fans.

Natasha: I'm not limiting myself to anything and there are a couple of things on my agenda. I'm traveling to Dubai for Girl Meets World and soon I'm going to start a brand new show that would be on air in May. From conceptualizing to producing and hosting, I have done it all. That show is like my baby and it's something I'm very excited about. Of course putting out work that adds value on and off screen is right on top of my priority list but there is still so much to do!

Uth: Message for young readers of YOUTH?

Natasha: You guys are doing a fantastic job and as for the youth of Pakistan, I'd say don't ever let anyone else dictate how you feel about yourself. Be true to who you are and what you feel. It's very most important!

No comments: